In the REMV app there is a recipe for pot pies. It mentions the recipe for the sweet potato biscuits could be found here. These biscuits are an awesome topper for these pot pies, but they would work wonderfully for a number of things. You could easily change out the cheese to cheddar and add a little cayenne pepper (1/4 tsp.). This would make the recipe a little spicy and a great accompaniment to a chili dinner. This recipe is designed for a small number of biscuits, so you wouldn’t have a ton leftover after making your pies. You could easily double the recipe and make 12 – 13 biscuits. Sweet potatoes add a nice sweetness to a standard biscuit dough. The flavor is subtle without being overwhelmingly sweet potato. They also provide a nice texture to the dough. This recipe couldn’t be easier to put together, especially if you have a standing mixer. I let it do all the work for me. It’s also a nice way for someone who is new to biscuit making to make the biscuits without overworking the dough.
Sweet Potato Biscuits (for Veggie Pot Pies in the REMV app)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted, chilled butter, cut into 8 small pieces
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup shredded parm
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cooled mashed sweet potatoes
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low speed for 10 seconds. Add the cold butter chunks and turn up to medium speed. Mix for 1 minute or until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the parm and mix for a couple of seconds. In a measuring cup combine the buttermilk and sweet potatoes. Add the buttermilk and sweet potatoes and mix on low speed until the dough comes together. It won’t take more than 30 seconds.
- Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and knead a couple of times to make sure the dough comes together. Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out 6 – 3 inch rounds (if you need to gather the dough and reroll to make enough biscuits). You can either place these on the hot pot pie filling and bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Or you can bake them separately on a parchment lined sheet for 15 to 17 minutes at 400 degrees F.